Wednesday 14 September 2011

Bento Box: Walrus(es Law)



The title of this post is dedicated to all those Economists out there... you know who you are!

(It's something called Walras' Law, which says that excess supply in one market must be matched by excess demand in another so it balances out. Kind of like Ying-Yang. Kind of not.)

And to any budding Economists out there (you know who you are!) I challenge you to make this bento box before you apply for an Economics degree, see how dedicated you are ;)


But Economics aside, this is a walrus! Who doesn't like Walruses? That little kid form Freaky Friday sure does :)


Oh, hang on, I just googled 'walrus' and they're actually quite ugly. Uh... I'm sure they have great personalities.

********************************

This is again a bento box I got from CasaBento, I choose it because it's coming up to autumn, I will be putting on my winter boots (because I live in England, and therefore autumn pretty much started three months ago in June) and Raking The Leaves, hence the pattern on the box.


The boxes are quite narrow but they have two compartments. Handy for those instances when the cheese from your sandwich melts onto your chocolate biscuit (It WILL happen someday).


And the black things are sort of mini-lids, which a) look quite nice and b) stop things from dripping out into your bag and smelling funky.

And as of two seconds ago, I've decided that if you have any requests for bento boxes, either ones to make or boxes to choose an actual box from the website and I'll make something inside it, then just leave a comment and I'll try my best!

********************************

Moving on, I'm going to show you how I made the walrus.
You will need:
  • Sushi rice/glutinous rice
  • Soy sauce
  • A chestnut mushroom for the nose
  • Ketchup for the cheeks
  • Nori seaweed for the freckles and eyes
  • White cheese for the tusks
  • Clingfim
1. Make up the rice and let it cool a little. Add soy sauce a little at a time and mix together until you get a brownish colour.
2. Make a large ball for the head and a smaller oval shape for the nose. Wrap in cling film and chill.
3. Once out of the fridge, unwrap and stick the nose on the face. Cut out a small piece of the mushroom and squish just on top of the nose. Cut out eyes and freckles from nori seaweed and stick that on too. Same with the cheese. 
4. Use chopsticks to dab on some ketchup cheeks.
5. Voila! Look! I'm a walrus!

For the fruit salad I made a banana flower and apple heart, but you can use the checked apple tutorial from my last frog bento post if you want.

Oh, and one last thing - you can make the leftover rice into sticky egg fried rice. It's delicious (with some chilli sauce, of course)!




p.s. September is #ricelove month! Please join in on the #ricelove fun by linking up any rice recipe from the month of September.  Don't forget to link back to this post, so that your readers know to come stop by the #ricelove event. 

29 comments:

  1. Good healthy amount of rice in this blog ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is the CUTEST bento so far. the walrus teeth, gahhh, so cute!!! btw, you should totally submit one of your september rice bento recipes to our #ricelove bloghop so others can find your blog!!

    http://juniakk.blogspot.com/2011/09/rice-bloghop-veggie-kimbap-with-korean.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Xinmei, I love these! They put a real smile on my face- imagine opening your lunch to find these walruses staring back at you My boring cheese salad sandwich is now officially rubbish in comparison!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks delicious!!! It must take you so much time and patience to craft your little characters! :) I also LOVE the sound of that egg fried rice with the leftovers ;)

    I definitely need to get myself a bento box! Your new one is BEAUTIFUL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm no budding economist, but that's a great looking bento box.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww the walruses are so cute! I love that scene from freaky friday as well, i havent watched that in so long, such a good film!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my God the walruses are too cute!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cute bento, I like the box. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh my! these are so cute! i'd probably never want to eat them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Welcome to #RiceLove Xinmei. How adorable these walrus bento boxes are?! Just precious!! & you areonly 19?! So very talented!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Xinmei, awwww... these walruses are SO CUTE! They look simple but with eyes and every part of face shows some kind of expression that it's so hard to resist! They are too cute to eat - normally I would just have a bite, but I have some feeling for these guys... absolutely adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Xinmei, you got a very sweet blog too here ^^. It's fun to make Walrus bento, and your Walrus buddies are soooo cute :D

    Aaah, envy your new boxes, I like that type of box ^^

    ReplyDelete
  13. Xinmei, I'm interested in joining that ricelove blog hop. But, I made a mistake by entering the link and photo for twice. Would you like to help me with that? (Erasing one of the entries?)

    And then, what am I supposed to do with the link? How can I put that thumbnails and links (just like yours above) on my blog post? Ha ha, I'm dumb dumb, please help me ^^

    ReplyDelete
  14. Who could resist eating a lunch that made them smile from ear to ear! I love it! Absolutely adorable. I love the box

    ReplyDelete
  15. Never knew walrus can be sooo cute! :)
    Your bento is beautiful and everything looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You get better and better at this. This really is well done. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the Bento rice idea! How creative and artistic! And I'm sure it tastes terrific! Glad to do the rice hop together with you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. adorable bento and love the box, your such a talent thanks for the congrats on the baby hugs rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  19. Those walruses are adorable! Definitely would cheer up any lunchtime :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the walrus,so cute haha.Amazing what your able to do with just sushi rice!

    ReplyDelete
  21. You are so incredibly creative! These are absolutely adorable and they look delicious, too. Thanks for sharing another one of your stunning creations - keep it up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. wow wow wow what a cute Bento, it looking so tasty & cute^^

    ReplyDelete
  23. until I saw this I had never thought that walruses (walri?) could be cute!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow, those are just beyond adorable. I don't know if i'd have the heart to eat them, they are just so sweet looking!
    *kisses* HH

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hope you are coming back soon! I miss your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Ximmei. Walruses, who would have thought a walrus could be so cute! Thank you for sharing your creations. I want to make some too! You are an inspiration. Sylvieann xo

    ReplyDelete

Like it? Love it? Hate it? Rate it! I'd love to hear what you think :)