Rose essence works very well. Though I would add a bit more than the original recipe called for, which I've adapted for. Really yummy and perfect for summer :)
See you soon and good luck to all those who have exams! Counting down the days until freedom...
From The Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook
Makes 16-20 cupcakes
For the sponge
80g (3oz) unsalted butter
280g (10oz) caster sugar
240g (8½oz) plain flour
1 tbsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
2 tbsp rosewater
240ml whole milk
2 large eggs
For the frosting
2 tbsp rosewater
150g (6oz) butter, softened
500g (1lb 2oz) icing sugar
50ml whole milk
1. Preheat the oven to 190C (375F), and line a muffin tin with muffin cases.
2. Whisk the butter, sugar, flour, baking power and salt together on a low speed until the consistency of fine breadcrumbs.
3. Mix the rosewater with the milk, and break in the eggs. Mix together. Add three quarters of the milk mixture of the dry ingredients, and mix together to combine. then all the remainder and mix until the batter is smooth.
4. Spoon the batter into the paper cases, so that each is two thirds full. Put in the oven for 20 minutes (might be a bit longer, I’m not sure 20 mins quite did it for me ) or until risen and springy to the touch. Leave to cool slightly before removing from the tin and placing on a wire rack to cool completely before frosting.
5. To make the frosting, beat the butter until soft, then add icing sugar. Mix the rosewater with the milk and gradually pour this into the butter and icing sugar mix whilst continuously whisking. Continue to beat until smooth. Use immediately and pipe over the cakes or cover and chill until needed.
9. Add decorations! Eat.