Tuesday 22 May 2012

Rose Cupcakes

Exams in a week, so shall keep this post short and sweet!



Rose essence works very well. Though I would add a bit more than the original recipe called for, which I've adapted for. Really yummy and perfect for summer :)


See you soon and good luck to all those who have exams! Counting down the days until freedom...





Rose Cupcakes
From The Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook
Makes 16-20 cupcakes

For the sponge
80g (3oz) unsalted butter
280g (10oz) caster sugar
240g  (8½oz) plain flour
1 tbsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
2 tbsp rosewater
240ml whole milk
2 large eggs

For the frosting
2 tbsp rosewater
150g (6oz) butter, softened
500g (1lb 2oz) icing sugar
50ml whole milk


1. Preheat the oven to 190C (375F), and line a muffin tin with muffin cases.

2. Whisk the butter, sugar, flour, baking power and salt together on a low speed until the consistency of fine breadcrumbs.

3. Mix the rosewater with the milk, and break in the eggs. Mix together. Add three quarters of the milk mixture of the dry ingredients, and mix together to combine. then all the remainder and mix until the batter is smooth.

4. Spoon the batter into the paper cases, so that each is two thirds full. Put in the oven for 20 minutes (might be a bit longer, I’m not sure 20 mins quite did it for me ) or until risen and springy to the touch. Leave to cool slightly before removing from the tin and placing on a wire rack to cool completely before frosting.

5. To make the frosting, beat the butter until soft, then add icing sugar. Mix the rosewater with the milk and gradually pour this into the butter and icing sugar mix whilst continuously whisking. Continue to beat until smooth. Use immediately and pipe over the cakes or cover and chill until needed.

9. Add decorations! Eat.
   


6 comments:

  1. I love rose essence and your cupcakes look terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks yummy, I am sure you found lots of comfort eating that:D Good luck in your exams!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with your exams! I've made these previously and they were delicious although a little sweet if I remember correctly. I recently came across concentrated culinary rose essence in an Asian grocery store - I think it would work better as it has a stronger rose flavour.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Xinmei, just stopping by to say how delightful your blog is. Thanks so much for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
    http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  5. i need to get rose essence! these look so pretty and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look so pretty and elegant - I love rose flavoured baked things.

    ReplyDelete

Like it? Love it? Hate it? Rate it! I'd love to hear what you think :)