Monday 1 August 2016

Nutella Oat Cookies

Hello blog, I am back!

After, wow, 7 months, I decided that I still needed my creative outlet. So here I am, hello :)

I have been travelling a lot and despite staying in Airbnb's most of the time, the closest I've gotten to an oven is one time when I was trying to make baked camembert, and baked it to its slow cheesy death. So I stayed away after that.

But I'm back with some oaty nutella cookies, because a good friend of mine gave me my very own personalised jar of nutella for a housewarming present (see the photo? That's my name! You know when you were on a school trip and everyone bought a key ring or a pencil with their name on it? Well, that was me, like, never). 

So, I didn't want to open it the jar for longest time but in the end, my sugar cravings got the better of me.

I'd like to say that I shared the cookies around the office...but, you know what, somehow it just didn't make it that far :)

So, whilst writing this post I've realised that, whilst very factually correct, I have rather unimaginatively named this post 'Nutella Oat Cookies'. Therefore, other names that I think may be appropriate are:

- Mushy Smushy Chocolatey Goodness Cookies

- Make Friends Instantly Cookies

- Your Dentist Has A Field Day Cookies

- You Know You Want To Give Me That Promotion Cookies*

What do you think?

*may not actually help you with that promotion. 


Here below are some step by step instructions. I actually think I baked it for too long, it would probably be better if you bake it for a little less because if you bake it too long the nutella goes hard. And then you have to smear more nutella on it when it's come out of the oven (not necessarily a Bad Thing). 

*******

Full recipe at bottom of page!

Firstly, I started with cookie dough mixture, which was my favourite one with oats in it (gives a really great texture). It's quite a generic one which you can get online, but I've pasted it below. It's really good on its own too, or with raisins, or chocolate chips. The list is endless.



Next, add a dollop of nutella or your favourite chocolate spread. I also looveeee the salted caramel and pecan chocolate spread from Hotel Chocolat (and I'm not even being sponsored to say this! It's just amazing).



Start folding the dough over, making sure all of the nutella is covered. And then, roll into a ball, then flatten the ball out, so the nutella is evenly spread inside the dough of each cookie.


Et voila! Ready to bake.



Hope you enjoy! 

Pudding Pie Lane



Nutella Oat Cookies
Takes about 30 hour, including 15 minutes baking time.

For the cookies:

100 grams/ 4oz / ½ cup self-raising flour
100 grams/ 4oz/ ½ cup porridge oats
½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
100 grams/ 4oz / 1 stick butter (or margarine)
100 grams/ 4oz/ ½ cup sugar
1 tablespoon golden syrup

About 8 tablespoons of nutella spread.

Heat the oven to gas mark 4 or 180C/360F. Grease a baking tray with butter or margarine.

Mix the dry ingredients (flour, oats, bicarb of soda) into one bowl.

Put the butter or margarine, sugar and golden syrup into a saucepan and put on a low heat until the mixture has melted. Take it off the heat. Stir in the oat and flour mix a little at a time and mix well until you get a dough mixture.

Spoon it into about 8 balls, and flatten them out.

Put a tablespoon (or somewhere between a teaspoon and tablespoon, depending on the size of the cookie, please use your judgement!) of nutella into the centre of the dough.

Roll the dough over on each side until the nutella is in the centre of the dough ball of cookie mixture.

Flatten the dough ball out again. You can use the back of a spoon for this. Repeat with all dough balls.

Cook in the oven for 10-15 minutes, when ready remove from the oven and leave to cool on the baking sheet for 5 mins before moving onto a wire rack.

They should last 3 days if you put it in an airtight container, but, well, they didn’t last that long in my household!






2 comments:

  1. The cookies look so delicious! Glad to see you back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to see your post again. I like Nutella.

    ReplyDelete

Like it? Love it? Hate it? Rate it! I'd love to hear what you think :)